OSDU Board Student Representatives Elections
Changes to how students are represented on the OSDU Board
At the 2015-2016 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of OSDU, the OSDU Board considered a number of options to improve the communication between students of OSDU Members and the OSDU Board. A variety of suggestions were brought forward in response to issues raised about both ensuring that students are kept abreast of OSDU developments and bringing the voices of students to the OSDU Board for consideration. A particular concern was raised identified that this has been a significant amount of work for a single student to take on given the size of the Province and a the number of OSDU Member schools the Student Rep must address.
As such, the OSDU Board unanimously approved a new model for the position of OSDU Board Student Representative. For the 2016-2017 OSDU season, the OSDU Student Representative position will be structured as follows:
OSDU Regional Student Representative Responsibilities
One (1) OSDU Student Representative will be elected in each OSDU Region, and will work with the OSDU Regional Coordinator to promote debating and public speaking within the Region, including any OSDU events, and help encourage Regional schools to start, strengthen and expand debating programs.
Additionally, the OSDU Regional Student Representative will be responsible for identifying emerging issues and points of concern from the students of the Regional OSDU Member schools. The OSDU Regional Student Representative will be responsible to bring these issues and points of concern to their OSDU Regional Coordinator for discussion, and to the OSDU Board Student Representative.
OSDU Board Student Representative Responsibilities
One (1) OSDU Board Student Representative will be elected from all of the OSDU Regional Representatives by the OSDU Regional Representatives. In addition to their duties as an OSDU Regional Representative, the OSDU Board Student Representative will be responsible for:
- working with the OSDU Board to promote debating and public speaking in Ontario schools, including identifying opportunities to help students start, strengthen and expand debating and public speaking programs;
- bringing forward to the OSDU Board issues and points of concern identified by OSDU Regional Coordinators;
- attending quarterly OSDU Board meetings as a non-voting OSDU Board Member between Oct 2016 - Sept 2017; and
- communicating the decisions of the OSDU Board to OSDU Regional Student Representatives.
Election of OSDU Regional Student Representatives
Students interested in running for an OSDU Regional Student Representative position must be nominated by their school as part of their school's OSDU 2016-2017 Membership Registration.
- Only students nominated with their school's OSDU Membership Registration will be permitted to stand for election.
- Students who's school has not completed their OSDU 2016-2017 Membership Registration (including payment of Membership Fees to OSDU) will not be permitted to stand for election.
Students nominated to run for OSDU Regional Student Representative will be contacted (through their provided OSDU Member school staff contact) with additional information on completing the next stage of OSDU Regional the election process. Students will be asked to provide a short written and video submission on why they should be elected their OSDU Regional Student Representative. These will be posted to a secure area the OSDU website for their Region, where students from their region will be able to vote for their choice. After a set period of time, Regional voting will close. Results will be provided to the relevant OSDU Regional Coordinator once they have been scrutinized and verified by the OSDU Board.
Students standing for election will be asked to provide a signed waiver statement from their parents acknowledging that the they will be posting a video to YouTube for the purposes of standing for election as an OSDU Regional Student Representative candidate. This statement will be provided by the OSDU Regional Coordinator once the nomination period has closed. Failure to provide this document to the OSDU Board by the provided deadline will result in disqualification of the student as a candidate for election.
Election of OSDU Board Student Representative
Once all OSDU Regional Representatives have been elected a meeting of the Regional Representatives will be called (either in-person or by phone/online).
- OSDU Regional Representatives will nominate one or more Regional Reps (including themselves) for the OSDU Board Student Representative Position.
- A secret ballot will be held among the Regional Reps. The winning Regional Rep must have at least 50% of the vote.
- In the event that no Regional Rep secures 50% of the vote in the first ballot, a second ballot will be held, with the Regional Rep who secured the least support in the first ballot being dropped from consideration. Additional rounds of balloting will occur until a Regional Rep secures at least 50% support.